Innovation Investment Fee
About the Innovation Investment Fee
MISMO, the real estate finance industry's standards organization, launched the Innovation Investment Fee in February 2021 to support work to foster efficiency, cost reduction, interoperability, digital transformation, and innovation in the mortgage process and much more. In 2022, more than 1,600 lenders of all sizes and business models invested in the future of our industry by paying the Innovation Investment Fee. Your investment makes it possible for MISMO to build the groundwork for a more efficient, less costly mortgage market.
MISMO is uniquely positioned to provides lenders with an opportunity to collaborate with the GSEs, government agencies, regulators, and others to develop standards that are used throughout the mortgage ecosystem. MISMO’s work is utilized in virtually every residential mortgage today and enables lenders to reduce manual, paper-based processes, and leading to lower costs, improved margins, reduced errors, faster cycle times, better accuracy, and an enhanced customer experience, to name just a few benefits. Engaging with MISMO means taking part in shaping the industry’s future.
MISMO is working hard to help market participants improve efficiency and reduce costs for originating, selling, and servicing loans. We released version 3.6 of the MISMO reference model which is the foundation for most MISMO standards today and will shape every new API, dataset, and SMART Doc® in the coming years and, introduced the API Toolkit to enable the industry to build applications to trade smaller amounts of data and released three standard APIs. MISMO accelerated the industry’s digital transformation by launching the e-Eligibility Exchange, powered by Snapdocs, to provide a central source of digital closing information at the transaction level, certified dozens of platforms as meeting MISMO’s RON standards and/or industry eClosing requirements, and developed a new Verifiable Profile SMART Doc® specification to restore trust in data.
We encourage you to review MISMO's Accomplishments which highlight our key initiatives and how they make your organization more efficient. Right now, MISMO is making significant progress on many other high priority initiatives including reducing friction in servicing transfers, improving the quality of data sent to credit ratings agencies and third party reviewers by creating a standardized PLS dataset, helping the industry successfully navigate the evolving ESG landscape, standardization of the Regulatory Loan Examination File submitted by lenders to state regulators, and creation of a standardized Housing Counseling dataset for housing counseling agencies to exchange information with their lender partners, improving connectivity in this vital relationship.
The Innovation Investment Fee Funding Model
The Innovation Investment Fee of just $0.75 per origination is a funding model endorsed by the MBA and MISMO boards of directors to accelerate the development and adoption of crucial industry standards and best practices. The annual bill, to be sent in February 2023, is based on loans originated in 2022. MERSCORP will continue to act as the billing agent for this fee for loans that are registered on the MERS® System by calculating the fee and sending an invoice as a service to MISMO and the industry.
- The fee is calculated once a year based on prior year MERS® System registration volumes with billings expected to be issued each year in early February. For example, an organization that originates 1,000 loans will receive a bill for $750 (calculated as $0.75 times 1,000 loans registered on the MERS® System). Payment of the Innovation Investment Fee is voluntary. Non-payment of the Innovation Investment Fee will have no impact on the rights of a MERS® System Member.
- MERSCORP has agreed to serve as the billing agent for the MISMO Innovation Investment Fee for loans that are registered on the MERS® System by calculating the fee and sending an invoice. All fees paid will be remitted by the lender directly to MISMO. No innovation investment fees will be retained by MERSCORP. MERSCORP is performing this function as a service to MISMO and the industry.
- Lenders that pay the Innovation Investment Fee will receive a license for the calendar year to use and implement MISMO standards for non-commercial purposes. Lenders that pay $1,000 or more will be recognized as MISMO members and receive commensurate benefits. Lenders who pay more will receive enhanced benefits. If your invoice is less than $1,000 and you would like to become a MISMO member reach out to [email protected] for instructions.
- Payment Remittance Information is available including instructions for ACH payments; payments less than $250; and quarterly payment option for lenders invoiced $5,000 or more.
- Third Party Vendor Management System Information is available including the MISMO W-9 and our account information sheet which contains helpful information for setting MISMO up in your vendor management system.
Call to Action for Lenders
- Lenders are encouraged to include the MISMO Innovation Investment Fee in their budget planning.
- Lenders are encouraged to set up MISMO as a valid vendor within their Vendor Management systems. Information to support set up is available here. Inquiries for additional information should be sent to MISMO at [email protected].
- Lenders are encouraged to set up a process to manage the processing of the annual invoice.
Creating the Digital Future for the Mortgage Industry
MISMO is leading efforts to enable lenders and market participants to reduce costs, improve efficiency, enhance interoperability and create a better mortgage experience for consumers and all parties involved in a real estate transaction. MISMO provides a standard language for exchange of mortgage industry information. The industry's drive for innovation through collaboration has produced efficiency, consistency, cost savings and consumer benefits through all aspects of the mortgage process. Read more about our recent accomplishments here.
Your investment in MISMO funds our standards work to accelerate the industry's future. To continue meeting the needs of lenders and other industry participants, a consistent funding mechanism is essential. Thanks for your continued support of MISMO and the Innovation Investment Fee.